Dwarkadheesh Temple, Gujarat all Information
The Dwarkadhish Temple, occasionally spelled as Dwarkadheesh is also known as Jagat Mandir. This temple is dedicated to God Krishna, who is worshiped here by the name of Dwarkadhish, or ‘King of Dwarka’.
This temple is located at Dwarka, Gujarat. The main shrine of the five storied building, supported by 72 pillars, is known as Jagat Mandir or Nija Mandir.
There are total four such peeths, and this temple is one of them. These temples or peeths were established by Adi Shankracharya. There are paintings on the walls very well depicts the life history of Shankracharya while the dome has carvings of Lord Shiva in different postures.
There are two entrances to the temple.
• ‘Moksh Dwara’ or Door to Salvation is the main entrance. This door directly opens to the market.
• ‘Swarga Dwara’ or Door to Heaven is the south entrance. There are 56 steps outside this door.
Legend & History
As per Hindu the legend, Dwarka was built on a piece of land by Krishna that was reclaimed from the sea. Hindus believed that temple was originally built by Vajrnabh, the great grand- son of Krishna. It was destroyed by Sultan Mahumd Begada in 1472.
According to one more legend, Meera Bai, the princess cum saint, a devotee of Krishna merged with deity at this temple. It is one of the Sapta puri, the seven holy cities of India.
How to Reach
• Dwarka is connected with other cities of Gujarat through its well developed national highway and also connected to its neighbouring states. You can travel by public buses, and also can hire private buses.
• Dwarka has a well-developed railway networks with all other major stations of Gujarat. There are many railway networks which connect Dwarka to other parts of India. Some most common trains are Okha-Puri express, Uttranchal express, Guwahati express etc.
• The main airport in Dwarka is Jamnagar Airport also known as Govndhpur airport. It is located 131 km away from Dwarka. Domestic flights, Commercial flights and private flights which connect airport to other parts of India.
• Another airport is Porbandar Airport which is 109 km away from Dwarka
• After reaching either of the airports, you can travel to Dwarka by cab or bus.
Few important tips
• Time required- 1-2 hours
• There is no entry fee
• Visiting time- 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., 5:00p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Best Time to Visit
It is a most visited tourist site throughout the year. The weather remains pleasantly warm even during winters. The best time to visit the Dwarkadhish Temple is from October to March.
The festival which is celebrated with pomp and show here is Janmashatmi. So if you want to experience the traditional rituals and celebrations, visit this temple in September.
• Nageshwar Jyotirlinga Temple
• Bet Dwarka
• Dwarka Beach
• Rukmani Temple
• Hotel Roma Kristo
• Gurukrupa Bunglow
• Hotel Bansi
• Hotel Sky
• Hotel Guruprerna