Ranakpur Jain Temple (Ranakpur, Rajasthan)all Information
The Ranakpur Jain Temple, also known as Chaturmukh Dharana Vihara, is one of the five most important pilgrimage sites of Jainism. Located on the Girnar Hill, Sadri town (Pali District, Ranakpur), the temple is dedicated to Tirthankara Rishabhanatha.
Key Points about the Temple
- Location : Desuri, Ranakpur Rd, Sadri, Rajasthan-306702
- Affiliation : Jainism
- Date : 1437 CE
- Deity : Tirthankara Rishabhanatha
- Timings : 07:00 am to 07:00 pm
- Entry Fee : Free Entry
- Photography : Prohibited
- Festivals : Mahavir Jayanti
Architecture of Ranakpur Jain Temple
The temple premises consist of the Chaumukha Temple, the Amba Mata Temple, the Parsvanath Temple, and the Surya Temple. The main temple among these is the Chaumukha Temple which has four faces and is dedicated to Adinath, the first Tirthankara. Build like a heavy aircraft; it has approx 1444 pillars depicting many carving of gods and goddesses. Since it is four faced temple, it has four entrances as well as a four faced statue of the Lord Adinath. The architecture is inspired from the Mirpur Jain Temple.
History of the Temple
The dates of the temple are mentioned in the inscriptions of the temple as well as a Sanskrit text named Soma-Saubhagya Kavya. Dharna Shah (a Porwal from Ghanerao) who constructed the temple in 1389 was inspired by celestial vehicle architecture. He approached Rana Kumbha to give some land for the construction of the temple. The king agreed but on a condition that the name of the temple should be on his name, and thus since the temple is situated near the bank of Maghai river, the temple is named as Ranakpur Temple.
The architect, who handled the project, was Deepaka. Its details are mentioned in the inscriptions of the temple. In Soma-Saubhagya Kavya, it is described that Acharya Soma Sundar Suri has taken the construction further after the construction of the ground floor. Finally the temple was completed in 1437 CE.
- There is no fee for entry.
- The temple is open all days of the week.
- The timing of the shrine is from 07:00 am to 07:00
- The temple is open on all seasons but October to March month is considered to be the best time to visit the holy place.
How to reach the Temple?
- By Air-The nearest airport is Udaipur Airport which is 60 km away from the site.
- By Train-Udaipur Railway Station and Phalna railway station is the nearest railway station from the site.
- By Road- The temple is well connected with private taxis and buses from Udaipur city.
- Hotel Fateh Bagh
- Hotel Mana
- Maharni Bagh Orchard Retreat
- King’s Adobe Ranakpur
- Ranakpur Safari Resort
- Ranakpur Nature Retreat
- The Kumbha Bagh Hotel
- Hotel Rajgarh Kumbhalgarh
- Ranakpur Shivika Lake Hotel
- Sadri Temple
- Surya Narayan Temple
- Mucchal Mahavir Temple
- Ranakpur Dam
- Ranakpur Jungle Safari
- Shri Falna Swarna Jaun Tirth- Golden Jain Temple